Categories: CrimesNews

Gunmen kill Ondo monarch

The traditional ruler of Agamọ Community in Ondo State, Oba Kehinde Falodun, has been killed by suspected bandits in Akure North.

The incident occurred on Wednesday evening in Akure North Local Government Area when armed men reportedly stormed the monarch’s palace in an attempt to abduct him.

Community sources said about 10 gunmen carried out the attack.

The monarch was said to have resisted the abduction, prompting the assailants to open fire. When the bullets allegedly failed to penetrate, the attackers reportedly struck him on the head with a heavy object, leading to his death.

Confirming the development, the Police Public Relations Officer of the Ondo State Police Command, Abayomi Jimoh, said an investigation had commenced and efforts were ongoing to apprehend the suspects.

He stated that the monarch was later discovered a few metres from the scene with gunshot wounds and was confirmed dead.

According to the police, the Divisional Police Officer and tactical teams were immediately mobilised, working alongside local security outfits to comb nearby bushes and surrounding areas.

Operatives of Ondo State Security Network Agency, local hunters and other community security groups were also involved in the search.

Jimoh added that surveillance and monitoring had been intensified across the area to safeguard residents and prevent further attacks, assuring the public that those responsible would be brought to justice.

The killing comes weeks after suspected bandits attacked Ayede Community in the same local government area, where a pregnant woman, Mary Jesulayomi, was abducted and later released after a ransom was reportedly paid.

Following that incident, security operatives arrested several suspects believed to be involved in banditry within the area.

Residents have since expressed growing concern over insecurity in Akure North, urging security agencies to intensify operations and restore peace to affected communities.

LUKMAN ABDULMALIK

Recent Posts

Appeal Court deploys 51 justices to Rivers

The Court of Appeal of Nigeria has deployed 51 justices to its Port Harcourt Division…

4 hours ago

UniAbuja student disappears on way to CBT exam

The management of the University of Abuja has called on the public to help locate…

4 hours ago

117 repentant terrorists graduate from Safe Corridor programme

No fewer than 117 repentant terrorists from Borno State have successfully completed the Disarmament, Rehabilitation…

4 hours ago

FCT election: Wike declares Friday work-free day, restricts movement on Saturday

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has announced work free day…

5 hours ago

Postecoglou: I made bad decision to join Nottingham Forest

Ange Postecoglou says he made "a bad decision" to become the manager of Premier League…

7 hours ago

INEC, security agencies ready for Kano assembly by-elections

The Independent National Electoral Commission and security agencies in Kano State have expressed readiness for…

7 hours ago

This website uses cookies.