Categories: EnvironmentNews

Lagos Assembly to meet Makoko leaders over demolition dispute

The Lagos State House of Assembly has invited leaders of Makoko and other affected waterfront communities to a meeting following complaints over the recent demolition of structures and the eviction of residents.

The invitation was conveyed in a letter dated January 27, 2026, and signed by the Clerk of the House, Olalekan Onafeko. The letter acknowledged receipt of a petition submitted by the communities and scheduled a meeting with the House Committee on Rules and Business for 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday, February 3, at the Chamber’s Conference Room, Assembly Complex, Alausa, Ikeja.

Community leaders were asked to attend the meeting with relevant documents to aid deliberations.

The planned engagement comes amid growing unrest in Makoko and adjoining settlements, where residents and civil society groups have accused the government of carrying out demolitions without adequate notice, compensation or resettlement, leaving many families displaced.

A visit to the area over the weekend showed some residents living in boats, while others are squatting with neighbours whose homes remain standing. Several families have reportedly relocated to other parts of the state.

Community leaders alleged that the demolition exceeded the initially agreed safety setback around high-tension power lines, affecting homes, schools and small clinics.

A chief in the community, Francis Samson, said government officials had earlier indicated that only structures within 30 metres of the power lines would be cleared for safety reasons. However, he claimed the exercise was later extended to 100 metres and eventually reached about 520 metres, resulting in widespread destruction across the waterfront settlements.

“We expected them to clear only the 30 metres, but they continued beyond that. Where they eventually stopped is about 520 metres. The waterfront communities have been badly affected,” Samson said.

He added that many residents, mostly fishermen, had been cut off from their livelihoods and forced to sleep in boats, while others now lack proper shelter. He also alleged that tear gas was fired during the operation and that some deaths were recorded during and after the exercise.

Another leader, Oluwo Felix Fasinu, called on the government to clearly define the boundary for any future enforcement, saying residents should not be completely displaced from communities they had occupied for decades.

One resident, who identified himself as Mautin, described the hardship faced by displaced families, saying sleeping in the open or inside boats had become the only option for many. He appealed to the government for assistance or relocation to a riverside area that would allow them to continue fishing.

Efforts to get a response from the Chairman of the House Committee on Information, Strategy and Security, Stephen Ogundipe, were unsuccessful as of the time of filing this report.

The demolition has also led to tragic incidents. A carpenter, Papa Eve Amossou, recently recounted losing his three-week-old daughter after his wife jumped into the lagoon while fleeing tear gas fired by security personnel during the operation.

Although they were rescued and rushed to a hospital, the baby was confirmed dead on arrival.

LUKMAN ABDULMALIK

Recent Posts

Shell urges contractors to strengthen safety standards in Nigeria

Shell has called on its contracting partners to sustain high safety standards across their operations…

8 hours ago

EFCC arraigns two over supply of bank access credentials

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arraigned two men before the Federal High Court…

8 hours ago

Davido speaks on attack on Adeleke’s convoy in Osun

Nigerian singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has dismissed reports linking Governor Ademola Adeleke’s…

8 hours ago

Bayelsa Assembly suspends Sagbama council chair, deputy

The Bayelsa State House of Assembly has suspended the Chairperson of Sagbama Local Government Area,…

9 hours ago

Tinubu orders five-year national security threat assessment, defence plan

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate preparation of a comprehensive National Threat Assessment and…

9 hours ago

Plateau attack: Army chief moves tactical HQ to Mangu

The General Officer Commanding, 3 Division Nigerian Army and Commander of Operation Enduring Peace, Major…

9 hours ago

This website uses cookies.