Tech

Musk: I’ll resign as Twitter CEO once I find ‘someone foolish enough’…

Elon Musk, on Tuesday, said he would resign as the chief executive of Twitter once he finds a replacement.

This was in response to a poll the Tesla boss launched asking Twitter’s users to decide if he should stay in charge of the social media platform.

Musk has fully owned Twitter since October 27 and has repeatedly courted controversy as CEO, sacking half of its staff, readmitting far-right figures to the platform, suspending journalists, and trying to charge for previously free services.

“I will resign as CEO as soon as I find someone foolish enough to take the job!” Musk tweeted on Tuesday.

The world’s richest person added that he will then only run software and server teams at Twitter.

READ ALSO: Taliban bans university education for women in Afghanistan

In the poll results which were posted on Monday, 57 per cent of voters, or 10 million votes, favoured Musk stepping down just weeks after he took ownership of the company for $44 billion.

Musk has used the Twitter polls to take other decisions on the platform, including the reinstatement of the account of former United States President, Donald Trump, and other suspended users.

Earlier this week he used a laughing emoji to ridicule a report he was in search of someone to take over as boss of Twitter, and tweeted that “no one wants the job who can actually keep Twitter alive”.

Analysts have pointed out that the stock price of his electric car company, Tesla, has slumped by one-third since Musk’s Twitter takeover, while some suggested Tesla’s board was putting pressure on him to quit his Twitter role.

“Finally a good step in the right direction to end this painful nightmare situation for Tesla investors,” Wedbush analyst, Dan Ives, said on Tuesday.

In discussions with users after posting his latest poll, Musk had renewed his warnings that the platform could be heading for bankruptcy.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

FG rejects calls to disclose spending details of $5bn Abu Dhabi facility

The Federal Government has dismissed calls for detailed disclosure of how funds obtained under its…

51 seconds ago

‘We can trek at 3am’: ASUU begs Kaduna govt, declares readiness for negotiation

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) at Kaduna State University (KASU) has appealed to…

25 minutes ago

Varsity lecturers gives Kaduna govt deadline to avert strike

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Kaduna State University chapter, has warned that the…

29 minutes ago

Tinubu will fall before 4pm if poll is free — PRP chair

The National Chairman of the Peoples Redemption Party, Dr Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, has expressed confidence that…

1 hour ago

Tottenham move for Savinho, Marmoush as Watkins set for Saudi transfer

Tottenham are in talks with Manchester City over a potential double deal for Savinho and…

2 hours ago

Tupac’s ashes were smoked after cremation — Suge Knight

Former Death Row Records executive Suge Knight has claimed that the ashes of late American…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.