News

‘My aide didn’t handle it properly’: Minister speaks on shunning journalists

Minister of Works David Umahi has denied snubbing journalists who honoured his ministry’s invitation for a press conference in Abuja.

The minister allegedly walked out on journalists during his turn to present the ministry’s scorecard after one year of President Bola Tinubu’s administration on Tuesday, May 28, 2024.

However, Umahi, while speaking with newsmen on Wednesday in Abakaliki, the Ebonyi State capital, after participating in activities marking Governor Francis Nwifuru’s one year in office, described the allegation as untrue.

The minister said he only wanted to appreciate selected media organisations for the coverage of his ministry’s activities.

Umahi said: “They all worked hard for us during President Bola Tinubu’s inauguration of projects in Lagos and I wanted to thank them profusely.

Police arrest another Editor in Abuja

“I wanted the appreciation to be surprising to the selected media houses but my media aide didn’t handle it properly.”

He said the event was fixed for 2 p.m. on May. 28 but his aide told him that those set of journalists were covering an inauguration.

The minister added: “We then shifted the event to 3 p.m. though my flight to Ebonyi for the governor’s inauguration of projects was also slated for the same time.

“My aide informed me that the event was set for 3:30 p.m. but when I got to the ministry’s hall, there was no single camera.

“The only camera on sight was from my ministry and I became very angry with the aide.”

Umahi said he demanded that the event be shifted to Monday, June 3, “because if it had been held, the surprise element would be defeated”.

He stated: “I will also be faced with a number of journalists that I couldn’t handle so my media aide did not handle it properly.

“Reports of shunning journalists, therefore, do not exist because I cannot invite and shun them at the same time.”

Umahi added that he would still offer appreciation to the media organisations he considered special to the ministry.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

US lifts 12-year entry restriction on Nigerian vessels

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) has lifted the 12-year Condition of Entry (CoE) imposed…

6 minutes ago

Cement price hike: FCCPC probes market manipulation, summons producers

The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC) says its investigation into the high cost…

15 minutes ago

Nigeria’s cement prices outpace Kenya, Tanzania, Togo — FCCPC

The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC) has raised concerns over the high cost…

24 minutes ago

Wande Coal, Davido clash over unreleased song

Nigerian singers Wande Coal and Davido have clashed on social media over an unreleased collaboration,…

30 minutes ago

Naira extends gains against dollar at official market

The naira further appreciated at the official market on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, trading at…

36 minutes ago

Zenith Bank to host 10th trade seminar on boosting Nigeria’s non-oil exports

Zenith Bank Plc is set to host the 10th edition of its International Trade Seminar…

1 hour ago

This website uses cookies.