Categories: News

NSA confirmed wiretapped conversation cited by El-Rufai was authentic — Witness

A prosecution witness has told the Federal High Court in Abuja that the National Security Adviser (NSA) confirmed the authenticity of a conversation referenced by former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir el-Rufai, during a television interview that forms part of an ongoing treason-related trial.

The witness testified before Justice Joyce Abdulmalik, stating that the NSA acknowledged the conversation allegedly mentioned by el-Rufai was genuine and occurred between him and the chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).

According to the testimony, investigators also interviewed the ICPC chairman, who confirmed having the conversation after excerpts of the broadcast were played to him.

During proceedings, the court viewed a 43-minute television interview in which el-Rufai allegedly claimed that a private conversation involving the NSA had been intercepted and forwarded to him.

The witness said the investigation team also questioned the television anchor, Charles Aniagolu; activist-lawyer Deji Adeyanju; and cameraman Ugochukwu Agalayana, all of whom were involved in the interview process.

Aniagolu reportedly confirmed that el-Rufai stated during the interview that the NSA’s conversation had been intercepted and shared with him. The witness added that el-Rufai also argued during the broadcast that government surveillance of communications was not unusual.

Statements from Aniagolu and Adeyanju were admitted in evidence without objection, while the cameraman’s statement was also tendered after he confirmed handling the recording setup.

The prosecution said el-Rufai’s remarks during the interview amounted to an “open confession” regarding interception of the conversation, which it argued posed risks to national security.

However, under cross-examination, the defence noted that investigators did not conduct forensic analysis of devices, IP tracing, or technical verification of interception claims.

The witness maintained that such steps were unnecessary because the NSA had already confirmed the authenticity of the conversation referenced.

The court adjourned the case to June 22 and 23 for continuation of hearing.

LUKMAN ABDULMALIK

Recent Posts

Lagos honours 506 LG workers for long service

The Lagos State Government has honoured 506 officers of the Unified Local Government Service for…

6 hours ago

Tinubu urges 2027 candidates to shun violence, ethnic politics

President Bola Tinubu has urged political parties and candidates contesting the 2027 general elections to…

6 hours ago

FAAC shares N3.007trn July revenue to FG, States, LGs

The Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC) has distributed N3.007 trillion to the Federal Government, the…

6 hours ago

I refused Akpabio, Dangote’s calls to delete Osun tweets — Davido

Afrobeats star David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has claimed that Senate President Godswill Akpabio…

6 hours ago

Varsity gets N53m TETFund grants for banditry, mosquito research

The Federal University Dutse, FUD, has secured two Tertiary Education Trust Fund research grants totalling…

7 hours ago

EFCC recovers N4.5bn AGO in alleged oil conversion case

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has recovered 2.3 million litres of Automotive Gas…

7 hours ago

This website uses cookies.