Categories: Energy

Oil prices fall as Trump vows quick end to Iran war

Oil prices were down about 1% on Wednesday, May 20, 2026, after United States President Donald ​Trump again asserted the war with Iran will end “very quickly”.

Brent crude oil futures fell $1.11, or 1.0%, to $110.17 a barrel by 0640 GMT, while U.S. West Texas Intermediate futures were down $1.12, or 1.1%, to $103.03.

A senior oil research ​analyst at LSEG, Emril Jamil, said: “Benchmark prices softened on a potential deal as the market gauges the geopolitical outcomes.

“However, prices are likely to still exhibit some upside potential even if a deal is concluded, given that ​supply will likely not return to pre-war levels immediately.”

Both benchmarks fell nearly $1 on Tuesday after ⁠U.S. Vice President JD Vance said the U.S. and Iran had made progress in talks, with neither side wanting to see a resumption ​of military action.

“Investors are keen to gauge whether Washington and Tehran can actually find common ground and reach a peace agreement, with ​the U.S. stance shifting daily,” said Toshitaka Tazawa, an analyst at Fujitomi Securities.

“Oil prices are likely to remain elevated given the possibility of renewed U.S. attacks on Iran and expectations that, even if a peace deal is reached, crude supply will not quickly return to pre-war levels,” Tazawa added.

Access Bank FX liquidity strong enough to service $1bn debt – Fitch

Despite Trump’s assertion ​to U.S. lawmakers late on Tuesday about a quick end to the conflict, he earlier said the United States may need to strike ​Iran again and he had been an hour away from ordering an attack before postponing it.

His comments on the need to strike again came a ‌day after ⁠he said he had paused a planned resumption of hostilities following a new proposal by Tehran to end the U.S.-Israeli war.

Trump also said Iran’s leaders are begging for a deal and warned a new U.S. attack would happen in coming days if no agreement was reached.

Some ⁠tankers have recently managed to cross through the Strait of Hormuz, though the number remains well below the 130 or so ships that typically transited daily before the war, according to Reuters.

Two supertankers exited the Strait of ​Hormuz on Wednesday, while another is making its way out after waiting in the Gulf for ​more than two ⁠months with 6 million barrels of Middle Eastern crude oil on board.

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Access Bank FX liquidity strong enough to service $1bn debt – Fitch

Access Bank Plc has sufficient foreign currency liquidity to meet its upcoming $1bn external debt…

1 hour ago

PCACC summons ex-Kano HoS over wage allegations

The Kano State Public Complaints and Anti-Corruption Commission (PCACC) has invited a former Head of…

3 hours ago

Singer Niniola loses husband

Nigerian afro-house singer Niniola has announced the death of her husband, Michael Ndika. The Grammy-nominated…

3 hours ago

Five factors in Arsenal’s Premier League title win

Arsenal ended their 22-year wait for a Premier League title on Tuesday after Manchester City…

3 hours ago

Dangote plans multi-billion-dollar Olokola seaport

Dangote Industries Limited has begun preliminary steps toward building a multi-billion-dollar deep seaport at the…

3 hours ago

Stock market rebounds with N917bn gain

Investors on the Nigerian Exchange Limited gained N917 billion on Tuesday as the market rebounded…

4 hours ago

This website uses cookies.