Abia State Governor Alex Otti has lifted the ban on civil service recruitment by employing 19 outstanding graduates of the state’s TechRise Information and Communication Technology (ICT) programme.
Otti announced the employment at the graduation ceremony of the third cohort of the programme, where 850 youths completed a three-month intensive training in ICT, in Umuahia, the capital of Abia State, on Friday, August 21, 2026.
He said the recruitment was part of his administration’s strategy to retain the best talents produced by the programme, and deploy their expertise to improve public service delivery.
Otti said: “I’m hereby lifting the ban on civil service employment and directing the Head of Service to immediately and automatically recruit the 19 of you.
“So by the time that is done, the ban would now continue.
“A central part of our value multiplication outlook is to retain the best hands from each cohort of the programme and have them contribute directly in improving social service delivery through the institutions of government.”
Otti directed the Head of Service to work with the Chief Information Officer and other relevant officials to identify ICT competency gaps across ministries, departments and agencies that could be filled by the qualified TechRise graduates.
The governor also directed the establishment of a special salary cadre for ICT professionals in the civil service, subject to applicable conditions.
He said the 850 laptops used by the graduates during the training had been transferred to them, as personal property to support their continued learning and professional development.
Otti also announced a cash gift of N100,000 for each of the 850 graduates, urging them to use their skills to create businesses, innovations, and employment opportunities.
“The most encouraging development from today’s graduation ceremony is the introduction of hundreds of new job-ready professionals into our economy,” Otti, adding that 2,210 people had so far completed the TechRise ICT skills development programme since its commencement.
The governor commended graduates who developed a functional drone and directed the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation to work with the team to explore ways of moving the innovation from concept to commercial viability.
Otti releases N31m for Abia returnees from South Africa
He further disclosed plans to establish international-standard ICT examination and certification centres in Abia State, enabling residents to obtain professional certifications required for career advancement without travelling outside the state.
Also speaking at the event, the Coordinator of TechRise, Chibueze Ukaegbu, said the programme had also trained 2,500 civil servants in computer skills, with plans to increase the number to 5,000.
Ukaegbu, who is also the Chief Executive Officer of LearnFactory, disclosed that the organisation planned to introduce coding programmes for primary pupils and secondary school students across the state.
He listed courses taught under the TechRise programme to include Creative Arts, Cyber Security, Full Stack Development, AI Animation, Product Management, Computer Design and Manufacturing, and Enterprise Fathom.
One of the graduates, Victor Onuoha, thanked the Abia State Government for empowering them through the programme.
Onuoha appealed for the extension of the programme to young people who were not accommodated in the first, second, and third cohorts.
- Otti lifts employment ban in Abia civil service, recruits 19 graduates - August 22, 2026
- Gunmen kill 2 Amotekun officers in Akure ambush - August 22, 2026
- Stock market closes week bearish as investors lose N444bn - August 22, 2026







