Categories: News

Oyo attack: DHQ debunks terrorist base in South-West, intensifies rescue operations

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has dismissed claims of the existence of a terrorist base in the South-West, assuring Nigerians that ongoing operations are targeted at rescuing abducted victims and neutralising criminals.

The Director of Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. Michael Onoja, made the clarification in a statement issued on Tuesday, May 19, 2026.

Onoja said the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Gen. Olufemi Oluyede, extended condolences to the government and people of Oyo State as well as families of victims affected by the recent attack on some schools in Oriire Local Government Area of the state.

The defence spokesman described the abduction of children and staff as reprehensible, assuring that the Armed Forces were deploying all necessary resources to ensure their safe and unconditional rescue.

“The full weight of the Armed Forces is being brought to bear to ensure the safe return of all abducted victims,” he said.

Onoja urged Nigerians to remain calm, united and continue to support security agencies with credible information.

Onoja said the military had earlier conducted a comprehensive clearance operation in the Old Oyo National Park, neutralising criminals operating within the area.

The defence spokesman stressed that current intelligence does not support claims of any established or structured terrorist base in the South-West region.

Danjuma pledges N3bn as Gowon unveils autobiography

He stated: “The incident in Oyo State remains an isolated criminal act and does not indicate the presence of an entrenched insurgent structure in the region.

“The Armed Forces caution against narratives capable of creating unnecessary panic or emboldening criminal elements.”

The defence spokesman disclosed that troops had already made contact with the perpetrators and were sustaining pursuit operations across forest corridors.

Onoja added that joint operations involving other security agencies and local vigilantes were ongoing to flush out criminal elements and restore normalcy.

He emphasised that community cooperation remained critical, noting that human intelligence from residents would aid ongoing rescue efforts.

“The Armed Forces will not relent until all abducted victims are rescued and those responsible are brought to justice,” he noted.

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Lagos honours 506 LG workers for long service

The Lagos State Government has honoured 506 officers of the Unified Local Government Service for…

4 hours ago

Tinubu urges 2027 candidates to shun violence, ethnic politics

President Bola Tinubu has urged political parties and candidates contesting the 2027 general elections to…

4 hours ago

FAAC shares N3.007trn July revenue to FG, States, LGs

The Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC) has distributed N3.007 trillion to the Federal Government, the…

4 hours ago

I refused Akpabio, Dangote’s calls to delete Osun tweets — Davido

Afrobeats star David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has claimed that Senate President Godswill Akpabio…

4 hours ago

Varsity gets N53m TETFund grants for banditry, mosquito research

The Federal University Dutse, FUD, has secured two Tertiary Education Trust Fund research grants totalling…

5 hours ago

EFCC recovers N4.5bn AGO in alleged oil conversion case

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has recovered 2.3 million litres of Automotive Gas…

5 hours ago

This website uses cookies.