Categories: CrimesNews

Police foil N10m ransom deal, arrest suspected kidnapper in Oyo

Operatives of the Oyo State Police Command have arrested a suspected kidnapper while allegedly attempting to collect a N10 million ransom for the release of an abducted victim in Atiba Local Government Area of the state.

The suspect, identified as Mohammed Sanni, was apprehended during a joint operation involving the police Anti-Kidnapping Squad and members of the Vigilante Group of Nigeria.

Police authorities said the operation followed intelligence reports indicating that suspected kidnappers had assembled in Otefon forest to receive ransom from relatives of a victim, Alhaji Bagudu, who was abducted last week.

According to the Police Public Relations Officer, Olayinka Ayanlade, the victim was kidnapped from his residence in Ilowa Village on May 9 by about six armed men who later moved him into the forest and demanded N10 million for his release.

Ayanlade said the Commissioner of Police, Olugbemiga Abimbola, ordered an immediate rescue operation after receiving intelligence from local vigilantes.

He explained that security operatives first ensured the safe release of the victim before moving against the suspected kidnappers at the ransom collection point.

“Upon confirmation that the victim had regained his freedom unharmed, operatives advanced towards the location where the suspects gathered to receive the ransom,” he said.

The police spokesperson disclosed that the suspects opened fire on security operatives after noticing their presence, leading to a gun battle in the forest.

During the exchange, Mohammed Sanni was arrested while other members of the gang reportedly escaped into the forest with suspected gunshot injuries.

Security operatives recovered a motorcycle with registration number TUT 824 TY, a mobile phone, a pair of slippers and a cap from the scene.

The police said the recovered items are undergoing forensic examination as investigations continue.

Ayanlade added that the arrested suspect had already made useful confessional statements that could aid efforts to track down other fleeing members of the gang.

The command also urged residents to continue supporting security agencies with credible information to strengthen anti-kidnapping operations and improve safety across the state.

LUKMAN ABDULMALIK

Recent Posts

Trump confirms release of US missionary kidnapped in Niger

US President Donald Trump has confirmed the release of American missionary and pilot Kevin Rideout,…

39 minutes ago

Niger, Chad troops clash near Diffa border amid pursuit operation

Tension has risen along the Niger-Chad border following an reported clash between Nigerien and Chadian…

2 hours ago

Global goods trade hits $13.7trn as AI, EV demand drives growth

Global trade in goods rose to about $13.7 trillion in the first half of 2026,…

2 hours ago

Banditry, kidnapping displace 620,000 in North-West — IOM

Nearly 620,000 people have been displaced by banditry and kidnapping across Nigeria’s North-West, accounting for…

2 hours ago

Oil prices rise as US-Iran peace talks stall, Hormuz shipping drops

Oil prices rose on Monday, August 17, 2026, as fading expectations of a United States-Iran…

2 hours ago

Banks dominate 42,082 suspicious transaction reports in 2025

Banks, fintech companies and other reporting entities submitted 42,082 Suspicious Transaction Reports (STRs) to the…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.