Categories: News

Police rescue 12 kidnapped passengers, intensify search for others in Ondo

The operatives of the Ondo State Police Command have rescued 12 passenger abducted by gunmen at Isua-Akoko, Akoko South-East Local Government Area of the state.

The Ondo State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Abayomi Jimoh, disclosed this in a statement issued on Saturday, May 23, 2026.

Jimoh said the victims were in two commercial Hiace buses conveying passengers from Benue State en route Ibadan, the capital of Oyo State.

Jimoh said the rescue followed a distress report received by police at about 01:30 a.m. on Saturday that the passengers of commercial buses had been violently intercepted by suspected kidnappers.

He stated that the assailants forced several passengers out of the vehicles and marched them into a nearby forest.

The police spokesman said: “Following the report, the police immediately activated a coordinated rescue operation as operatives of the command, alongside local hunters and other security stakeholders, were swiftly mobilised to the scene.

“Upon arrival, the combined rescue team commenced an intensive bush-combing operation across the surrounding forests and difficult terrains where the victims were believed to have been taken.

“Intelligence-led surveillance and strategic tracking efforts were simultaneously intensified to trail the fleeing suspects and facilitate the safe rescue of the remaining victims.

Oyo abductors insist on direct talks with Makinde

“The sustained pressure mounted by the combined security team yielded significant success as 12 kidnapped victims, including the drivers of the affected buses, were successfully rescued alive.

“The rescued victims are currently receiving necessary medical attention and support while arrangements are being made to reunite them with their families.”

Jimoh, therefore, reassured the public that operations were still ongoing to secure the release of the remaining victims and bring all those involved in the act to justice.

The police spokesperson added that additional tactical and intelligence assets had been deployed to the area to reinforce the ongoing rescue and manhunt operations.

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Kaduna APC members unanimously endorse Tinubu for 2027

Members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kaduna State have unanimously endorsed President Bola…

52 minutes ago

Tinubu secures landslide win as rival polls zero at Ikoyi APC primary

President Bola Tinubu recorded a sweeping victory at the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential primary…

3 hours ago

2027: Ganduje’s son joins Reps race under NDC

AbdulAziz Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, son of former APC National Chairman, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, has entered…

4 hours ago

Tinubu: APC deepening democracy via transparent primaries

President Bola Tinubu on Saturday described the conduct of the 2026 All Progressives Congress (APC)…

4 hours ago

El-Rufai’s wife demands N2bn damages from ICPC chairman over alleged defamation

Aichatou El-Rufai, wife of former Kaduna State governor, Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai, has issued a pre-action…

5 hours ago

Tinubu, wife cast votes in Lagos as APC primaries begins

President Bola Tinubu and his wife, Oluremi Tinubu, on Saturday voted at the All Progressives…

5 hours ago

This website uses cookies.