Categories: Sports

Hull City promoted to Premier League for first time in 9 years

Hull City were promoted to the Premier League after a 1-0 win over Middlesbrough in Saturday’s Championship play-off final, bringing an end to the ‘spygate’ controversy that overshadowed world football’s richest match.

Oli McBurnie punished a mistake from Middlesbrough goalkeeper Sol Brynn to bag the lucrative winner in the final moments of the second half at Wembley.

Hull City will return to the Premier League for the first time since 2016-17, completing an incredible revival just 12 months after they avoided relegation to the third tier on goal difference.

McBurnie’s late goal hit the jackpot for Hull City, with football finance experts Deloitte estimating the play-off final winners will earn at least £205 million ($275 million) over the next three seasons due to increased match-day, broadcast, and commercial revenues.

That could rise to around £365 million if the club survives their first season in the Premier League.

Football League chiefs will hope Hull’s victory brings an end to the scandal that marred the second tier play-offs after Southampton were kicked out for filming a Middlesbrough training session prior to their semi-final first leg.

Southampton had beaten Middlesbrough 2-1 on aggregate to earn a final showdown with Hull City

But the Saints were expelled on Tuesday, with an independent commission ruling their boss Tonda Eckert had “specifically authorised” the spying.

Bruno Fernandes beats Arsenal’s Rice, Raya to win EPL player of the season award

The English Football League said Southampton admitted to “multiple breaches of EFL regulations related to the unauthorised filming of other clubs’ training”.

Southampton chief executive Phil Parsons said the sanctions imposed were “manifestly disproportionate”.

The row had presented Middlesbrough with a second chance to win promotion, but they were unable to seize the lifeline as Hull City ground out a hard-fought victory in scorching heat.

Sergej Jakirovic’s side are the first sixth-placed team to win promotion via the second tier play-offs since Blackpool in 2010.

The Tigers, who beat third-placed Millwall to secure their place in the final, have been the division’s surprise package all season.

They were hit with a three-window transfer embargo last year, later reduced to two after a successful appeal, but confounded expectations to snatch a play-off place on the last day of the season.

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Ohaji group petitions Tinubu, Uzodinma over APC Reps ticket dispute

A socio-political group, the Ohaji Patriotic Forum (OPF), has appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu,…

47 minutes ago

Police rescue 12 kidnapped passengers, intensify search for others in Ondo

The operatives of the Ondo State Police Command have rescued 12 passenger abducted by gunmen…

2 hours ago

Kaduna APC members unanimously endorse Tinubu for 2027

Members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kaduna State have unanimously endorsed President Bola…

3 hours ago

Tinubu secures landslide win as rival polls zero at Ikoyi APC primary

President Bola Tinubu recorded a sweeping victory at the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential primary…

5 hours ago

2027: Ganduje’s son joins Reps race under NDC

AbdulAziz Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, son of former APC National Chairman, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, has entered…

6 hours ago

Tinubu: APC deepening democracy via transparent primaries

President Bola Tinubu on Saturday described the conduct of the 2026 All Progressives Congress (APC)…

6 hours ago

This website uses cookies.