Pope Francis will undergo an urgent operation on Wednesday afternoon to repair a hernia in his abdominal area and will be hospitalised for “several days”, the Holy See has announced.
The operation will be performed under general anaesthetic in a procedure which involves an incision in the abdominal cavity.
Reports from a 2021 surgery for a bowel condition said he did not tolerate general anaesthetic well.
Francis’ medical team decided in the past few days that the pontiff needed the operation.
READ ALSO: ‘I’m still alive’: Pope Francis jokes after leaving hospital
He had already arrived at the hospital by midday (1000 GMT).
The Vatican statement said 86-year-old Pope Francis had been experiencing recurring pain.
The Pope spent several hours at Gemelli Hospital on Tuesday for what the Vatican said was a check-up.
His procedure, known as laparocele in medical terminology, will be performed there.
In 2021, the pontiff, who is from Argentina, was operated on under general anaesthetic for a bowel condition called diverticulitis.
Part of his colon was removed and he spent 10 days in hospital.
Vice President Kashim Shettima is set to lead a Federal Government delegation to Kano on…
Warner Bros Discovery is considering reopening sale talks with rival Hollywood studio Paramount Skydance after…
Oil traded little changed on Monday, February 16, 2026, with investors weighing the market implications…
The Senate will reconvene sitting on Tuesday, February 17, 2026. The Clerk of the Senate,…
Operatives of the Nigeria Police Force have arrested a mortician after uncovering an unlicensed mortuary…
United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc has unveiled a new diaspora banking and investment platform…
This website uses cookies.