Breaking News

Roger Federer announces retirement from tennis

Tennis star, Roger Federer, has announced he will retire after next week’s Laver Cup.

The 20-time Grand Slam champion has been struggling with a knee problem for the last three years.

Federer, in a letter posted on social media on Thursday, said he will retire after playing in next week’s Laver Cup in London, United Kingdom.

He said: “To my tennis family and beyond. Of all the gifts that tennis has given me over the years, the greatest, without a doubt, has been the people I’ve met along the way: my friends, my competitors, and most of all the fans who give the sport its life. Today, I want to share some news with all of you.

“As many of you know, the past three years have presented me with challenges in the form of injuries and surgeries. I’ve worked hard to return to full competitive form.

READ ALSO: Serena Williams ends career with US Open defeat

“But I also know my body’s capacities and limits, and its message to me lately has been clear. I am 41 years old. I have played more than 1,500 matches over 24 years.

“Tennis has treated me more generously than I ever would have dreamt, and now I must recognise when it is time to end my competitive career.

“The Laver Cup next week in London will be my final ATP event. I will play more tennis in the future, of course, but just not in Grand Slams or on the tour,” the 41-year-old tennis star stated.

Roger Federer, who won his first Grand Slam title at Wimbledon in 2003, has not played a competitive match since losing to Hubert Hurkacz in the quarter-finals at Wimbledon last summer.

He subsequently announced he needed more surgery on his knee having previously undergone two operations in 2020 that kept him out for more than a year.

The Swiss had targeted a full return following the last operation but it became increasingly clear his rehabilitation was not going as well as he had hoped.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Atiku appears before ADC screening panel

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has appeared before the presidential screening committee of the African…

15 minutes ago

NDC okays Obi for 2027 presidential race

Former Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi has been cleared to contest in the presidential…

43 minutes ago

NDLEA busts Nigerian-Mexican meth cartel, seizes N480bn drugs in Ogun

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has dismantled a major Nigerian-Mexican methamphetamine cartel, seizing…

48 minutes ago

Employers commit to youth hiring at NJFP Lagos forum

The Nigeria Jubilee Fellows Programme (NJFP) has secured fresh commitments from private sector employers to…

51 minutes ago

‘Deeply traumatising’: Slain Oyo teacher’s family appeals against circulation of murder video

The family of Michael Oyedokun, the teacher killed by bandits after being abducted in Oyo…

52 minutes ago

How EFCC arrested ex-power minister Mamman

Details have emerged on how operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission tracked down…

1 hour ago

This website uses cookies.