Crimes

Troops rescue 2 Chibok girls, victim delivers baby in military custody

The troops of the Nigerian Army have rescued two additional girls from the Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, nine years after their abduction by Boko Haram insurgents.

The girls were abducted by the terrorists in 2014.

The Theatre Commander, North-East Joint Operation, Hadin Kai, Maj.-Gen. Ibrahim Ali, on May 4, announced the rescue of the girls while briefing newsmen at the Maimalari Cantonment in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

Ali said 26-year-old Hauwa Maltha and Esther Marcus, aged 26, both serial numbers two and 103 in the list of the missing victims, were rescued on April 21, 2023, by troops of 114 Taskforce Battalion Bitta at Lagara, under the 21 armoured Brigade Bama during Operations.

He disclosed that Maltha and Kibaku from Jila in Chibok Local Government Area of Borno state, and her 3-year-old baby were rescued.

The Commanded revealed that Hauwa, while in captivity, got married at Gulukos, a village in Sambisa forest, to one Salman, a cameraman to Abubakar Shekau.

READ ALSO: 79,000 insurgents surrender as troops rescue 3 Chibok girls

“Salman later died in Lake Chad. Thereafter, Hauwa Maltha got married to one Mallam Muhammad in Gobara and had 2 children for him who later died due to sickness. Muhammad, her second husband, was also killed in Ukuba terrorist enclaves in Sambisa forest during clashes between Boko Haram/ISWAP,” he said.

“Hauwa who was about 8 months and 2 weeks pregnant during the time of her rescue delivered a bouncing baby boy on 28 April 2023 while undergoing thorough medical examination along with her baby Fatima at 7 Div Medical Hospital and Services,” he said.

Ali explained that while in captivity, Marcus was forcefully married to one Garba, also known as Garus, a Boko Haram fighter who was killed during troops offensive operations on terrorists’ enclaves.

“She was later married off to another insurgent, Abba, in Ukuba terrorist enclaves in Sambisa forest until her rescue by troops of Operation Hadin Kai.

“Since their rescue, they have undergone thorough medical examination along with their babies and are adequately resuscitated and will be handed over to the Borno State Government for further administration.

“These results are evident as troops have rescued about 14 Chibok girls recently.

“The girls rescued so far include Aisha Grema, serial number 11 on the abducted Chibok girls list, Hannatu Musa, number 7 on the list, and Sera Luka, number 38 on the list.

“Others are Ruth Bitrus, number 41, Mary Dauda, number 46, Hauwa Joseph, number 18, Falmata Lawan, number 3, Asabe Ali, number 12, Jankai Yamal, number 20, Yana Pogu, number 19, Rejoice Sanki, number 70 and Hassana Adamu, number 35,” he said.

He assured the people of the North-East in particular, that Operation Hadin Kai remains resolute and determined in neutralising all vestiges of terrorists as well as criminals marauding the North-East and returning total and long lasting peace to the region.

“Our immense appreciation goes to the President, Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, President Muhammadu Buhari, the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Lucky Irabor, and Service Chiefs for their strategic guidance and provision of requisite logistics and operational platforms which have spurred the continuous successes,” Ali added.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

PHOTOS: Police arrest illegal mortician in Akamkpa

Operatives of the Nigeria Police Force have arrested a mortician after uncovering an unlicensed mortuary…

4 hours ago

UBA launches platform to connect global Africans with investments, wealth opportunities

United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc has unveiled a new diaspora banking and investment platform…

5 hours ago

Ribadu directs El-Rufai to submit evidence on toxic chemical purchase to DSS

The Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) has asked Nasir El-Rufai, former governor of…

6 hours ago

Gov AbdulRazaq faces backlash over pledge to deliver FCT for APC amid Kwara insecurity

Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq of Kwara State has come under heavy criticism after a viral video…

7 hours ago

NLC demands end to power privatisation, condemns N3trn GenCo bailout

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has condemned Nigeria’s electricity privatisation, describing the exercise as a…

9 hours ago

Miyetti Allah denies terror links, seeks FG intervention over US sanctions bill

The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) has denied any involvement in banditry,…

10 hours ago

This website uses cookies.