Just Politics

Trump to Hamas: Release U.S. hostages now or face hell

United States President Donald Trump has warned Hamas of “hell to pay” should the Palestinian militant group fail to release U.S. hostages held in Gaza.

Trump gave the warning after the United States broke a longstanding diplomatic taboo by holding secret talks with Hamas on securing the release of the U.S. hostages on Wednesday, March 5, 2025.

U.S. hostage affairs envoy Adam Boehler has the authority to talk directly with Hamas, the White House said when asked about the discussions, which broke with a decades-old policy against negotiating with groups that the U.S. brands as terrorist organizations.

Boehler and Hamas officials met in Doha in recent weeks, two sources briefed on the negotiations said. It was not clear who represented Hamas.

At the White House, Trump met a group of hostages who had been released recently under a Gaza ceasefire deal, and he issued a stark new threat against Hamas in a social media post.

He demanded that Hamas “release all of the hostages now, not later”, including the remains of dead hostages, “or it is over for you”.

Trump said: “I am sending Israel everything it needs to finish the job, not a single Hamas member will be safe if you don’t do as I say.

“Also, to the people of Gaza, a beautiful future awaits, but not if you hold hostages. If you do, you are dead! Make a smart decision. Release the hostages now, or there will be hell to pay later!”

Trump gives Chevron one month to stop operations in Venezuela

Trump’s warning echoed his “hell to pay” threat before his January 20 return to the White House, which was followed by the ceasefire and hostages deal in mid-January that he claimed credit for before former President Joe Biden left office.

Once again, Trump did not specify exactly what action he might take if Hamas failed to comply.

The Palestinian Mujahideen military group in Gaza condemned Trump’s warning, saying it demonstrated his administration’s intention “to proceed as a partner in the crimes of genocide against our people”. Israel has denied accusations of genocide.

“Trump’s threats today clearly reveal the ugly face of the United States of America and show its lack of seriousness and its renunciation of the agreement it mediated,” Reuters quoted the group as saying.

Hamas has yet to comment on Trump’s threats.

The U.S. had long avoided direct engagement with the Islamist group, which carried out a cross-border raid into southern Israel on October 7, 2023, triggering a devastating Gaza war that has killed more than 48,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza health officials.

The U.S. State Department designated Hamas a terrorist organization in 1997.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Why opposition parties boycott Kano by-elections

Major opposition parties — the African Democratic Congress, New Nigeria Peoples Party and Peoples Democratic…

4 minutes ago

Chelsea’s Fofana, Burnley’s Mejbri racially abused on social media

Chelsea defender Wesley Fofana and Burnley midfielder Hannibal Mejbri said they were racially abused on…

5 minutes ago

‘Contractors must accept FG’s policies’: Umahi denies rift with Julius Berger

The Minister of Works, David Umahi, says he has no personal issues with Julius Berger…

10 minutes ago

LaLiga: Osasuna stun Real Madrid as Atletico thrash Espanyol

Raul Garcia's superb 90th-minute strike consigned leaders Real Madrid to a 2-1 defeat at Osasuna…

22 minutes ago

Consultants move to EFCC, ICPC over N13.7bn Osun payroll claim

An audit firm, Salivot Consulting Limited, has alleged a massive N13.7 billion annual payroll fraud…

22 minutes ago

EPL: Man City sink Newcastle to close gap on Arsenal

Manchester City stepped up their Premier League title charge as Nico O'Reilly's double sealed a…

27 minutes ago

This website uses cookies.