Categories: News

US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

The United States government has frozen the assets and properties of eight Nigerians accused of having ties to Boko Haram and the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), following fresh sanctions issued by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).

The action was announced in a sanctions document released over the weekend, running into more than 3,000 pages, which lists individuals designated under terrorism, cybercrime, and other national security–related offences.

According to OFAC, the publication serves as formal notice of persons added to its Specially Designated Nationals list, whose assets under U.S. jurisdiction are blocked, while prohibiting Americans and U.S.-based entities from conducting financial or business transactions with them.

Among those named is Salih Yusuf Adamu, also known as Salihu Yusuf, who was previously convicted in the United Arab Emirates for helping to establish a Boko Haram fundraising network. He was reportedly among six Nigerians found guilty in 2022 of attempting to transfer $782,000 from Dubai to insurgents in Nigeria.

Others listed include Babestan Oluwole Ademulero, identified under multiple aliases; Abu Abdullah ibn Umar Al-Barnawi, also known as Ba Idrisa; Abu Musab Al-Barnawi, described as a Boko Haram leader; Khaled Al-Barnawi, linked to the group under various spellings and nicknames; Ibrahim Ali Alhassan, reportedly based in Abu Dhabi; Abu Bakr ibn Muhammad Al-Mainuki, sanctioned for alleged ISIL connections; and Nnamdi Orson Benson, who was designated under cybercrime provisions.

Under the sanctions, all property and financial interests belonging to the individuals within U.S. control are frozen, and any dealings with them are strictly prohibited.

OFAC said the measures are being enforced under Executive Order 13224, which targets terrorism financing and support networks. Boko Haram has been listed as a foreign terrorist organisation by the U.S. since 2013 due to its involvement in deadly attacks across northern Nigeria and the Lake Chad Basin.

The move also follows recent calls within the U.S. Congress for tougher measures, including visa restrictions and asset freezes, against certain Nigerian political figures and groups over allegations of insecurity and human rights violations.

U.S. authorities said the sanctions are part of broader efforts to disrupt extremist financing channels and strengthen international counterterrorism enforcement.

LUKMAN ABDULMALIK

Recent Posts

Troops bust cow rustling ring fueling Benue killings

Troops of the Joint Task Force, Operation Whirl Stroke, have arrested suspected cattle rustlers linked…

7 minutes ago

Madagascar cyclone: Over 16,000 displaced as death toll rises to 59

No fewer than 59 people have been confirmed dead in Cyclone Gezani in Madagascar. The…

26 minutes ago

El-Rufai arrives EFCC’s office as supporters, opponents clash in Abuja

Former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai on Monday appeared at the headquarters of the Economic…

37 minutes ago

FG files criminal charges against El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone

The Federal High Court of Nigeria sitting in Abuja has filed criminal charges against former…

49 minutes ago

PalmPay denies loan claims, warns against defamatory content

PalmPay Nigeria has issued a disclaimer distancing itself from what it described as defamatory content…

1 hour ago

Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna

A dispute over access to a graveyard on Monday escalated into violent clashes in Kaduna…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.