Categories: News

Why we stopped ADC leaders seeing El-Rufai — ICPC

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission) has defended its decision to prevent leaders of the African Democratic Congress from visiting former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, saying the action was based on a subsisting court order.

ICPC spokesperson John Odey told PUNCH Online on Saturday that the commission acted strictly within the limits of a court directive that restricted access to El-Rufai to only his immediate family members, lawyers, and medical personnel.

He explained that the ADC had formally written to request permission for a delegation of party leaders to visit the former governor, including senior figures such as Rauf Aregbesola and Abubakar Malami.

According to Odey, the commission responded to the request on time, clearly stating that the visit could not be approved because the individuals listed did not fall within the categories permitted by the court order.

He added that the letter rejecting the request was duly delivered and acknowledged by the party before the planned visit took place.

Odey dismissed allegations that ADC leaders were harassed or intimidated at the ICPC headquarters in Abuja, insisting that the security presence at the gate was routine and not targeted at the visiting delegation.

He said armed police officers stationed at the premises are part of standard security arrangements and denied claims that multiple police vehicles were deployed to block the party leaders.

“The court was specific that access is limited to immediate family members, legal counsel, and doctors. We are bound by that order,” he said.

The ICPC spokesperson maintained that the commission would continue to comply fully with the court directive and would not grant access outside the approved categories.

He also stressed that the agency remained apolitical and was only ensuring adherence to legal processes while El-Rufai remains in its custody.

The African Democratic Congress had earlier accused the commission of blocking its leaders from seeing El-Rufai and described the action as intimidation of opposition figures.

El-Rufai is currently facing trial on nine amended charges relating to alleged violations of anti-corruption, fraud, and procurement laws in Kaduna State. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

LUKMAN ABDULMALIK

Recent Posts

Gunmen kill 2 Amotekun officers in Akure ambush

Two officers of the Ondo State Security Network Agency, Amotekun Corps, have been killed in…

29 minutes ago

Stock market closes week bearish as investors lose N444bn

Trading on the Nigerian stock market closed bearish on Friday, August 21, 2026, ending the…

44 minutes ago

Naira trades N1,346/$ at official market

The naira closed the week on a positive note at the official market on Friday,…

1 hour ago

Messi, Fray fined for slapping opponent in MLS game

Major League Soccer (MLS) has fined Inter Miami captain Lionel Messi an undisclosed amount for…

1 hour ago

Tzolis shines as Arsenal rout Coventry in Premier League opener

Greek winger Christos Tzolis put up an impressive performance as Arsenal made the perfect start…

1 hour ago

FG targets 80% electricity access, lower power losses in five years

The Federal Government has set a target of raising electricity access above 80 per cent…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.