Crimes

2 students die in Ebonyi gas explosion

The Chief Medical Director of Alex Ekwueme Federal Teaching Hospital (AE-FETHA) in the Abakaliki area of Ebonyi State, Prof. Robinson Onoh, says the recent gas explosion in the state has claimed two lives.

The gas explosion occurred at a catering school at Orokeonuoha in Ebonyi Local Government Area of the state on Thursday, October 17, 2024.

No fewer than 10 girls undergoing training in the school were initially hospitalised at AE-FETHA.

Onoh, who spoke on Sunday, October 20, disclosed that two among the 10 burnt students of the school had died from injuries sustained in the gas explosion.

The CMD said medical personnel had been on the ground to ensure no death was recorded again.

He said: “Both nurses, plastic surgeons, anaesthetist team, internal medicine, and respiratory team and management are on ground to do the needful.

“We lost two already; one on arrival and yesterday (Saturday), October 19, we lost another, making it two deaths.

“Our team is on ground to make sure we do not lose another person.”

Onoh revealed that inhalation and saving dressing foam were the major challenges.

90 die in Jigawa tanker explosion

Onoh said: “Inhalation is as a result of accumulation of smoke from burns; it is part of the burns affecting their breathing; we have been able to separate them.

“The saver dressing foam reduces frequency of dressing and healing process faster.

“The inhalation is a big challenge; burns can be managed but once there is an inhalational component, it becomes a problem.

“Saver dressing foam is quite expensive; it is not available here; we had to get this from Enugu State.

“We hope to get more; we do not want to use a particular one which could cause infection, pains and affect healing.

“We need help because it is demanding on the hospital, using internal infusion and drugs.”

The CMD called on the Ebonyi State Government to assist the hospital in ensuring medical care of the patients.

“We are also calling on wife of the governor, Mrs Mary-Maudline Nwifuru, to support and also medical organisations and philanthropists to help,” he added.

Onoh further applauded the management, reverend sisters, and priests in the catering school for their level of concern in providing care.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Shell urges contractors to strengthen safety standards in Nigeria

Shell has called on its contracting partners to sustain high safety standards across their operations…

4 hours ago

EFCC arraigns two over supply of bank access credentials

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arraigned two men before the Federal High Court…

4 hours ago

Davido speaks on attack on Adeleke’s convoy in Osun

Nigerian singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has dismissed reports linking Governor Ademola Adeleke’s…

5 hours ago

Bayelsa Assembly suspends Sagbama council chair, deputy

The Bayelsa State House of Assembly has suspended the Chairperson of Sagbama Local Government Area,…

5 hours ago

Tinubu orders five-year national security threat assessment, defence plan

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate preparation of a comprehensive National Threat Assessment and…

5 hours ago

Plateau attack: Army chief moves tactical HQ to Mangu

The General Officer Commanding, 3 Division Nigerian Army and Commander of Operation Enduring Peace, Major…

6 hours ago

This website uses cookies.