Entertainment

Adidas terminates partnership with Kanye West over hate speech post

Sportswear maker, Adidas, says it has ended its partnership with popular American rapper, Kanye West, now known as Ye, over his recent anti-Semitic post.

Adidas made the announcement via a statement issued on Tuesday.

The rapper, in the now-deleted post, had said: “I’m a bit sleepy tonight but when I wake up I’m going death con 3 on Jewish People.”

This was in an apparent reference to a United States military readiness code known as DEFCON.

However, the company, on Tuesday, said it “does not tolerate antisemitism and any other sort of hate speech”, adding that Kanye West’s recent comments were ‘unacceptable, hateful and dangerous.”

Adidas noted that the comments violated the company’s “values of diversity and inclusion, mutual respect and fairness”.

The company added that sales and production of Ye’s Yeezy branded products have stopped as well as payments to the famous singer and his companies, noting that it will take a €250 million hit ($246 million) to its fourth-quarter sales.

READ ALSO: Actor Kunle Afod’s wife teases followers with marriage crash

Adidas said it will release additional information about the financial implications of dissolving its partnership with Ye in its upcoming earnings report on November after its shares fell about 5% in Frankfurt.

Adidas has partnered with Kanye West since 2013 when the company signed his brand away from rival Nike.

In 2016, Adidas expanded its relationship with the rapper, calling it “the most significant partnership ever created between a non-athlete and an athletic brand.”

But Adidas put the partnership under review in early October after he wore a ‘White Lives Matter’ T-shirt in public.

The Anti-Defamation League categorises the phrase as a “hate slogan” used by White supremacist groups, including the Ku Klux Klan.

Recently, Kanye West said: “I can say antisemitic s*** and Adidas cannot drop me,” during a tirade against Jews on the Drink Champs Podcast.

Adidas has now joined the list of brands distancing themselves from the singer.

Balenciaga and Vogue publicly cut ties last week, while talent agency, CAA, on Monday, dropped Ye as a client.

Production company,  MRC, said it was also shelving a documentary on West.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Governor denies involvement as thugs disrupt meeting, beat Ondo APC leaders

The Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ondo State, Ade Adetimehin, has narrated…

48 minutes ago

Local food grinders may increase organ failure risk — FIIRO

The Federal Institute of Industrial Research, Oshodi (FIIRO), has raised concerns over the potential health…

3 hours ago

Truck crushes 6 to death on Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway

No fewer than six persons have been confirmed dead, while three others were injured in…

4 hours ago

Temu assures data protection as NDPC probes platform

Temu has reaffirmed its commitment to protecting users’ personal information as Nigeria’s data protection regulator…

4 hours ago

Tinubu unveils Nigeria industrial policy 2025

President Bola Tinubu on Tuesday launched Nigeria’s Industrial Policy 2025, urging government agencies to ensure…

4 hours ago

Opposition lawmakers walk out as Reps approve electronic, manual transmission of election results

The House of Representatives has approved both electronic and manual modes of transmitting election results…

4 hours ago

This website uses cookies.