Sports

Benzema, French minister clash over Islamic group links

Al-Ittihad striker, Karim Benzema, has hit back at France’s Interior Minister, Gerald Darmanin, after he accused the French football star of links to the Muslim Brotherhood Islamist group.

Darmanin made the accusations after the reigning Ballon d’Or winner and former Real Madrid striker posted a message on social media about the conflict between Israel and Palestinian militant group, Hamas.

“All our prayers are for the inhabitants of Gaza who are once again victims of these unjust bombings which spare no women or children,” Benzema wrote on X, formerly Twitter.

Hamas, on October 7, launched shock raids into Israel, killing 1,400 people, mostly civilians, and seizing about 200 hostages.

Israel has since then launched wave after wave of retaliatory air strikes, killing more than 3,000 Palestinians in Gaza.

However, Darmanin, while speaking on the CNews Channel, alleged that Benzema “has a notorious link with the Muslim Brotherhood”, a Sunni Muslim Islamist group with its origins in Egypt that is now banned by Cairo.

READ ALSO: Benzema joins Saudi Arabia champions Al Ittihad

“This is false! Karim Benzema has never had the slightest relationship with this organisation,” Benzema’s lawyer, Hugues Vigier, said in a statement.

He said Benzema was expressing “natural compassion” with “what many today describe as war crimes being committed in Gaza, but which does not detract from the horror of the terrorist acts of October 7, something not open to discussion”.

The lawyer added that he was planning to file a complaint against Darmanin for his comments.

A source close to Darmanin doubled down on the minister’s comments, criticising Benzema over an alleged “drift” towards a tougher interpretation of Islam over the last years.

But the player’s lawyer said: “We are once again witnessing an intolerable exploitation of Karim Benzema and the ‘symbolic figure’ that we like to make him.”

Benzema, 35, who was born in France to parents of Algerian origin, has been one of the standout French stars of the last decade.

He joined the Saudi club on a hugely lucrative three-year deal this year after 14 seasons with Real Madrid where he lifted five Champions Leagues, four La Liga titles, and three Copas del Rey.

Benzema is not the only Muslim football star to enter the debate, with Liverpool and Egypt player, Mohamed Salah, calling for humanitarian aid to be allowed into Gaza and an end to “massacres”.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Bayelsa Assembly suspends Sagbama council chair, deputy

The Bayelsa State House of Assembly has suspended the Chairperson of Sagbama Local Government Area,…

28 minutes ago

Tinubu orders five-year national security threat assessment, defence plan

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate preparation of a comprehensive National Threat Assessment and…

34 minutes ago

Plateau attack: Army chief moves tactical HQ to Mangu

The General Officer Commanding, 3 Division Nigerian Army and Commander of Operation Enduring Peace, Major…

44 minutes ago

Gunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo

Gunmen on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after he…

1 hour ago

Tinubu appoints Abel Enitan as Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Olumuyiwa Enitan as the Head of the Civil Service…

2 hours ago

Tinubu orders recovered EFCC funds, unclaimed dividends for student loans

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

3 hours ago

This website uses cookies.