Crimes

Flood kills 20, displaces 2,000 in Yobe

No fewer than 20 persons have died as a result of devastating floods that ravaged Bade Local Government Area of Yobe State since early August 2024.

The Local Government Chairman, Babagana Ibrahim, disclosed this in the Gashua area of the state on Friday, September 6.

Ibrahim said most of the deceased were people trapped under the debris of collapsed mud houses.

Ibrahim revealed that the flood destroyed more than 10,000 houses and farmlands across 200 communities.

The chairman listed villages worst hit to include Misilli, Lawan Musa, Dagona, Dala, Katuzu, and Sabongarin Gashua.

He said 2,000 persons displaced by the flood were taking shelter in three camps in Gashua.

Boko Haram kills many in Yobe

He listed the camps as Goodluck, Zango 2, and Babuje.

Ibrahim said the council, despite its meager resources, had been feeding the displaced persons since they came to the camps.

He disclosed that former Senate President Ahmad Lawan recently donated N10 million to the victims, while the state was already distributing non-food items to the victims.

He urged the federal government to come to the aid of the flood victims whose population, he said, was increasing by the day.

Ibrahim added: “The magnitude of this disaster is so enormous and Bade has no capacity to manage it.

“That is why I am appealing to the federal government, through the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), to come to our aid as the number of displaced persons continues to rise.”

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Shell urges contractors to strengthen safety standards in Nigeria

Shell has called on its contracting partners to sustain high safety standards across their operations…

3 hours ago

EFCC arraigns two over supply of bank access credentials

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arraigned two men before the Federal High Court…

3 hours ago

Davido speaks on attack on Adeleke’s convoy in Osun

Nigerian singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has dismissed reports linking Governor Ademola Adeleke’s…

4 hours ago

Bayelsa Assembly suspends Sagbama council chair, deputy

The Bayelsa State House of Assembly has suspended the Chairperson of Sagbama Local Government Area,…

5 hours ago

Tinubu orders five-year national security threat assessment, defence plan

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate preparation of a comprehensive National Threat Assessment and…

5 hours ago

Plateau attack: Army chief moves tactical HQ to Mangu

The General Officer Commanding, 3 Division Nigerian Army and Commander of Operation Enduring Peace, Major…

5 hours ago

This website uses cookies.