Sports

Man United: We’re considering response to Ronaldo ‘betrayal’ claims

Manchester United, on Monday, said they were considering their response to an interview given by the club’s forward, Cristiano Ronaldo, where he said he felt “betrayed” by the club.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner has been a peripheral figure on the field for United since Erik ten Hag took charge as manager in May.

Ronaldo was disciplined after refusing to come on as a substitute in a 2-0 win over Tottenham Hotspur last month, but had returned to the side in recent weeks and even captained the Red Devils in a 3-1 loss at Aston Villa.

However, the 37-year-old player was absent from the squad in Sunday’s 2-1 victory over Fulham in United’s last match before a six-week break for the World Cup.

“I don’t have respect for him because he doesn’t show respect for me. Not only the coach but another two or three guys around the club. I felt betrayed,” Ronaldo said of Ten Hag in an interview on Sunday with the Piers Morgan Uncensored TV show.

When quizzed again if senior club executives were trying to oust him, Ronaldo replied: “Yes, I felt betrayed and I felt like some people don’t want me here, not only this year but last year too.”

In a statement issued on Monday, United said: “Manchester United notes the media coverage regarding an interview by Cristiano Ronaldo.

READ ALSO: Ronaldo: Man United betrayed me

“The club will consider its response after the full facts have been established.

“Our focus remains on preparing for the second half of the season and continuing the momentum, belief, and togetherness being built among the players, manager, staff, and fans.”

Ronaldo returned to United in August 2021 from Juventus.

His first spell at Old Trafford had been a glorious one under the tutelage of Alex Ferguson, winning three Premier League titles, the Champions League, and the first of his Ballon d’Or crowns.

Despite his 24 goals in all competitions last season, United endured a terrible campaign as they finished sixth in the Premier League and failed to qualify for the Champions League.

Ronaldo then reportedly tried to engineer an exit before the start of this season, but no agreement could be found with another club.

“Since Sir Alex left, I saw no evolution in the club. Nothing had changed. I want the best for the club. This is why I come to Manchester United.

“But you have some things inside that don’t help (us) reach the top level as (Manchester) City, Liverpool, and even now Arsenal… a club with this dimension should be top of the tree in my opinion and they are not, unfortunately,” Ronaldo said on what he found on his return to United.

United are fifth in the Premier League, 11 points behind leaders Arsenal.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

WAEC releases second series CB-WASSCE results

The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has released the results of the 2025 Second Series…

3 minutes ago

Counter-terrorism: 100 US military trainers arrive Nigeria — DHQ

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has announced the arrival of about 100 United States military personnel…

8 minutes ago

Natasha alleges deliberate exclusion from NCDC budget meeting

Senator Natasha H Akpoti Uduaghan has accused the Senate leadership of deliberately sidelining her from…

37 minutes ago

Dangote Group signs $400m deal to accelerate refinery expansion

Dangote Group has signed a $400 million agreement with XCMG Construction Machinery Co., Ltd. to…

8 hours ago

Tinubu commends Fintiri’s projects, vows continued economic reforms

President Bola Tinubu on Monday visited Yola, Adamawa State, assuring Nigerians of sustained economic reforms…

8 hours ago

EFCC investigates trader for currency counterfeiting in Enugu

Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Enugu Zonal Directorate, have launched an investigation…

9 hours ago

This website uses cookies.