News

Ogun Assembly summons Accountant-General over LG funds diversion

The Ogun State House of Assembly has summoned the state’s Accountant-General, Babatunde Aregbesola, to appear before it on Friday, September 1, 2023, over allegations of diversion of local government funds.

Others summoned by the House are tie members of the Joint Account Allocations Committee (JAAC).

The House made the summon on Thursday, August 31.

The Speaker of the House, Olakunle Oluomo, said: “I hereby invite the Accountant-General of the state and all members of the joint account allocations committee to appear before the house on Friday by 1 p.m.

“They are to come and explain to the House what exactly is happening so that the people of the state shall be fully briefed.

READ ALSO: LG chair suspended for accusing Ogun gov of funds diversion

“We have the power to investigate what’s happening in our state and then do the needful.

“I appeal to those that are concerned to please let us maintain law, peace and order in our various places, particularly in Ijebu East Local Government Area where protests had been going on.

“Everyone should calm down and allow us to do our job.”

He noted that the meeting with the officials would afford the House the opportunity to know what was happening and to take necessary action.

The council chairmen in Ogun State met with and begged Governor Dapo Abiodun on Tuesday, August 29, pleading that their monthly financial allocations be released regularly.

Abiodun assured the chairmen that he would abide by extant laws in keeping with his earlier promises.

The governor had also said earlier in the week that contrary to common belief, the state government had been augmenting monthly allocations to the local councils.

A face-off later erupted in Ijebu-East council over the funds as some councillors later suspended the chairman, Wale Adedayo.

This led to protests and the deployment of security operatives in the area.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

21-year-old apprentice kills boss after dispute in Anambra

A 21-year-old apprentice (name withheld) has allegedly killed his boss at Fegge in Onitsha, Anambra…

46 minutes ago

Troops arrest two suspected Boko Haram logistics suppliers in Yobe

Troops of the Joint Task Force (JTF) North East, operating under Operation Hadin Kai, have…

1 hour ago

Troops foil ISWAP ambush, recover weapons, supplies in Borno

Troops of the Joint Task Force (JTF) in North East Nigeria have successfully repelled an…

1 hour ago

Troops intercept suspects carrying N37m cash in Borno

Troops of Operation HADIN KAI have intercepted five individuals transporting about N37 million in cash…

1 hour ago

Sterling HoldCo announces recapitalisation of two subsidiaries

Sterling Financial Holdings Company Plc has announced that its core banking subsidiaries, The Alternative Bank…

2 hours ago

Tinubu hails BUA’s strategic MoU with UAE ports, MAIR Group

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has commended the signing of a strategic Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)…

3 hours ago

This website uses cookies.