Breaking News

‘Our plane is being fueled’: Super Eagles set to depart Libya for Nigeria

Super Eagles captain William Troost-Ekong says the team are set to depart Libya for Nigeria after they were left stranded in the North African country.

Troost-Ekong disclosed this in a post on X on Monday.

The Super Eagles captain wrote: “Power of social media. Apparently, our plane is being fueled as we speak and we should be leaving to Nigeria shortly. Thanks for everyone’s support! 🇳🇬

“I REITERATE: We would NEVER treat a guest nation for a game in this way. Mistakes happen, delays happen. But never on purpose!”

Troost-Ekong had earlier lamented the ill-treatment of the Super Eagles by Libyan authorities at the Al Abaq Airport.

The defender stated on X: “Can I shock you?! the pilot has just told us there has been fuel at this airport for the plane all this time. They could have released it but haven’t given us permission since. Can you imagine?! So how long are they planning to hold us hostage here!!! Still just waiting.

‘This is getting scary’: Boniface gives update on Super Eagles ordeal in Libya

“After our first tweets magically a team bus arrived and a driver who has been standing inside the airport filming us and laughing with some of the other staff since last night said the bus was ready 12 hours after we landed. Now we have been waiting for fuel since morning…

“At this point I’m even tired of laughing instead of crying.”

The incident was also described as scary by Super Eagles striker Victor Boniface.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Tuggar, further stated that the Libyan authorities were yet to grant the Nigerian government access to where Super Eagles were being held.

Tuggar, in a statement shared on his X account on Monday, however, assured that the federal government will continue to monitor the situation while awaiting a comprehensive report for further action.

The Super Eagles have since Sunday been held hostage by Libyan authorities at the Al Abaq Airport.

The team were billed to play Libya in the return leg of the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifiers on Tuesday.

Nigeria defeated Libya 1-0 in the first leg in Akwa Ibom last Friday to maintain leadership of Group D.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Shell urges contractors to strengthen safety standards in Nigeria

Shell has called on its contracting partners to sustain high safety standards across their operations…

18 minutes ago

EFCC arraigns two over supply of bank access credentials

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arraigned two men before the Federal High Court…

22 minutes ago

Davido speaks on attack on Adeleke’s convoy in Osun

Nigerian singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has dismissed reports linking Governor Ademola Adeleke’s…

56 minutes ago

Bayelsa Assembly suspends Sagbama council chair, deputy

The Bayelsa State House of Assembly has suspended the Chairperson of Sagbama Local Government Area,…

2 hours ago

Tinubu orders five-year national security threat assessment, defence plan

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate preparation of a comprehensive National Threat Assessment and…

2 hours ago

Plateau attack: Army chief moves tactical HQ to Mangu

The General Officer Commanding, 3 Division Nigerian Army and Commander of Operation Enduring Peace, Major…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.