Categories: Breaking NewsHealth

Resident doctors suspend nationwide strike, resume work Wednesday

The National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has suspended its nationwide strike.

NARD had earlier directed its members nationwide to embark on an indefinite strike over the federal government’s failure to address its demands.

The demands include immediate reversal of the revised Professional Allowance, payment of outstanding promotion and salary arrears, and prompt disbursement of the 2026 Medical Residency Training Fund (MRTF), among others.

Confirming the suspension of the strike on Tuesday, April 7, 2026, the President of NARD, University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan, Dr Uthman Adedeji, said members will resume work at 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday.

Adedeji said the strike was suspended after an Extraordinary National Executive Council meeting, during which NARD directed members nationwide, including those at UCH, to resume duties at 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday.

Kano vows to prosecute health workers over fake polio vaccination

Adedeji explained that the decision followed the federal government’s reversal of its stance on the revised professional allowance and a commitment to address other outstanding issues raised by the association.

He said no new patients would be admitted at UCH until Wednesday morning, as doctors would use the period to properly hand over patients currently on admission to consultants.

According to him, patients who are stable will be discharged, while no new cases, including emergencies, will be accepted until full services resume at the scheduled time.

Adedeji added that some doctors might be granted additional time to manage critically ill patients beyond the handover window, subject to approval from the association’s leadership.

He reiterated the association’s commitment to patient care and urged the federal government to urgently address the demands of NARD to prevent further disruption in the health sector.

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Fire guts SPAR Mall in Calabar, destroys goods worth millions

A fire outbreak has destroyed goods worth millions of naira at the popular SPAR Mall…

1 minute ago

Court refuses to halt PENGASSAN election, orders accelerated hearing

The National Industrial Court of Nigeria (NICN), Abuja Division, has declined an application seeking to…

37 minutes ago

PHOTOS: Meet new ‘fake’ agency’s national coordinator, state reps, US, China officials

The alleged National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office operated an extensive structure comprising…

49 minutes ago

Tinubu names Yari campaign DG as APC unveils 2027 presidential council

President Bola Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima will lead the All Progressives Congress (APC)…

2 hours ago

2027: Yusuf Buhari pledges grassroots campaign, rejects political violence

The All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate for Daura, Sandamu and Mai’Adua Federal Constituency, Yusuf Muhammadu…

2 hours ago

EFCC withdraws cybercrime charges against two Nigerians

The Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ola Olukoyede, has ordered…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.