The immediate past governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike, says he was poisoned at the secretariat of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in December 2018.

Wike said the poison ravaged his internal organs, affecting his liver and kidneys, and almost killed him but for God’s interventions.

The former governor made the disclosure at a special Thanksgiving service organised by his family at the St. Peters Deanery, Rumuepirikom, Obio-Akpor, Rivers State on Sunday, June 18.

He said: “God was in charge, everybody who knew how we came to power in 2015, knew it was turbulent. But God saw us through. When you are in office, many people think things are going well with you. Nobody wants to find out the problems you are facing as a human.

“In December 2018, it was a day my former Chief of Staff was going to have Thanksgiving. I was to attend that Thanksgiving. From that Sunday I never came down from my room. It was bad. But those who attended the January 1st state banquet of 2019 will know that I never spoke that day. I just sat down there and told the Deputy Governor to speak on my behalf. I thought it was over.”

READ ALSO: ‘Effect of 40-year-old whiskey’: Ex-Jonathan’s aide mocks Wike over wrongly buttoned suit

Wike added that he was flown to a hospital in Beirut, Lebanon, at 12 midnight where doctors after running a series of tests told him that his liver and kidneys were all gone.

“I didn’t know I had been poisoned at our party’s secretariat,” he said, adding that the doctors after some treatments returned and told him his organs had started working again.

Wike said the doctors discharged him after about a week and asked him to return home, noting that he altered his itinerary during the campaigns for his second term.

The former governor said everybody became a suspect as he decided that he would not enter any party leader’s home during the course of his campaigns.

He recalled that the second incident of God’s intervention in his life was when his wife called him during his presidential primary campaign and told him that she had been diagnosed with cancer.

Wike said he called the leaders in his campaign team including the G-5 Governors that there was a problem and he was planning to quit the race.

He, however, said his wife encouraged him to continue with his campaigns that all would be well.

The former minister added that after the primary when he was on a trip to Abuja in the company of his wife, he got information that a fire gutted his wife’s room and destroyed everything she had as a woman.

Wike said: “Being a strong woman, my wife never showed it. But today my wife is hale and hearty. The cancer incident was the one I knew that God had done all for me.”

The Star



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here