The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has ordered a full investigation into the building collapse in Abuja that killed four people, describing the incident as a preventable tragedy linked to possible violations of construction standards.
Wike gave the directive on Monday after visiting the site of the collapsed structure, where he also ordered the immediate sealing of the premises and confirmation of arrests linked to the incident.
He said preliminary reports indicated that one engineer had already been taken into custody, while the developer of the building would also be arrested as part of ongoing investigations.
According to him, the FCT Administration will constitute a panel to determine the cause of the collapse and identify regulatory lapses that may have contributed to the disaster.
“From the report I got, we lost four people and some lives were saved. It’s very pathetic,” Wike said, adding that government would not compromise on safety standards in the capital city.
The minister stressed that the Department of Development Control had sealed off the site and would continue preliminary investigations pending the outcome of the panel’s findings.
He warned developers and contractors against bypassing building regulations or obstructing oversight functions of relevant agencies, noting that compliance with approved plans, soil tests, and material standards was non-negotiable.
Wike said many building failures in the FCT could be avoided if strict construction guidelines were followed, especially regarding structural design limits and environmental suitability.
“In construction of buildings, we must know the quality of materials being used. Are they doing soil tests? Can the land support the structure? These are very key issues,” he said.
He also cautioned against what he described as attempts by some developers to undermine regulatory enforcement through public criticism, insisting that government actions are aimed at protecting lives.
The minister added that the primary responsibility of government remains the protection of lives and property, lamenting the loss of lives that could not be recovered.
“How can you buy back these lives? They are gone,” he said.
The FCT Administration said it would step up monitoring of construction sites across Abuja as part of efforts to prevent future structural failures and ensure stricter compliance with building regulations.
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has accused the Federal Government of failing to…
Delegates and journalists scampered for safety after the All Progressives Congress (APC) senatorial primary election…
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has overturned the earlier outcome of its Pankshin/Kanke/Kanam (PKK) House…
The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has raised concerns over the alleged exploitation of beggars…
The Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ola Olukoyede, has called…
Governor Uba Sani has approved the appointment of Alhaji Suleiman Sa’ad Abubakar as the new…
This website uses cookies.