The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has thrown a jibe at Vice President Atiku Abubakar and Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) presidential candidate Peter Obi, saying “there’s no opposition” ahead of the 2027 general election.
Wike said this during an inspection of ongoing projects in the FCT on Friday, August 21, 2026.
The minister, while reacting to the recent visit of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke to President Bola Tinubu, said Atiku, who is the African Democratic Congress (ADC) presidential candidate, and Obi’s reactions were of little concern to him.
Wike said: “I have told you when you say ‘leading opposition,’ I’ve told you that there’s no opposition.
“What you have are people who are just trying to see whether they can be relevant.”
2027: Wike mulls larger coalition for Tinubu, speaks on Adeleke’s visit
He further stated that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), which was expected to constitute the major opposition party, had been weakened by its internal crisis.
“Ordinarily, it should have been PDP, but because of the crisis we’ve had, and so you can’t see a formidable party that you will call the leading opposition party,” the minister added.
Wike said his priority was to ensure victory for his political camp, adding that political contests were not about making opponents comfortable.
- Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna - August 21, 2026
- ICPC tracks N2.1bn constituency projects in Lagos - August 21, 2026
- 2027: Wike mocks Atiku, Obi, says there’s no opposition - August 21, 2026







