Categories: Just Politics

69 killed in Philippines earthquake

The death toll from a 6.9-magnitude earthquake that hit the central Philippines rose to 69 on Wednesday, October 1, 2025.

The shallow earthquake struck late on Tuesday off the coast of the island of Cebu, cutting power and damaging buildings. It was not immediately clear how many people were missing.

The death toll was 69 as of Wednesday morning, said Jane Abapo of the regional Civil Defense office, citing data from the provincial disaster agency that was subject to validation.

The national disaster agency earlier said the toll could be as high as 60, with 150 reported injured.

The hospital in Bogo City near the epicentre of the quake was “overwhelmed”, Civil Defense official Raffy Alejandro told reporters.

‘Accept deal or face severe consequences’: Trump gives Hamas 4-day ultimatum on Gaza war

The Philippine coast guard deployed a vessel carrying dozens of doctors, nurses, and other medical personnel bound for Bogo, while President Ferdinand Marcos Jr assured survivors of swift assistance, with cabinet secretaries on the ground directing relief operations.

“We are assessing the damage, we are assessing the needs,” Marcos told reporters after distributing aid in Masbate, an island recovering from the impact of Super typhoon Ragasa last week.

Mariano Martinez, the mayor of San Remigio municipality close to Bogo, said there were 11 casualties in the area, with victims as young as 12, and the death toll expected to climb.

“Our first main problem is finding the casualties, identifying people who needs help”, he told Reuters, adding many homes had suffered damage.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Champions League play-offs: Full fixtures as 14 clubs battle for seven spots

The final seven places in the 2026/27 UEFA Champions League league phase will be decided…

6 hours ago

FULL LIST: 122 Nigerian universities approved to offer Law

The Council of Legal Education (CLE) has released the list of 122 universities approved to…

6 hours ago

ASUU threatens strike over 200 lecturers’ exodus Kaduna varsity

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Kaduna State University (KASU) chapter, has raised concern…

6 hours ago

Why Edo lawmakers removed Agbebaku — New Speaker

The newly elected Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Yekini Idiaye, has accused…

7 hours ago

Kano college launches 800-tree drive to tackle climate challenges

The Kano State Government has launched an initiative to plant 800 trees at the Aminu…

7 hours ago

NFF sacks Super Falcons technical crew after World Cup failure

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has ordered the entire technical crew of the Super Falcons…

7 hours ago

This website uses cookies.