Categories: CrimesNews

Banana Island bans short-lets following arrest of eight in theft ring

Banana Island Estate in Ikoyi, Lagos, has banned all short-let and Airbnb operations following a security breach allegedly linked to criminal activities within the community.

The decision was announced in a statement by the executive committee of the Banana Island Property Owners and Residents Association, Lagos (BIPORAL), which said the move was aimed at protecting residents’ safety, privacy and the estate’s peaceful environment.

According to the association, investigations revealed that criminals had been exploiting short-let apartments to gain access to the gated community, increasing security risks.

“Following the recent security breach and the violation of our longstanding peaceful coexistence as a community, the executive committee has resolved to bring a complete end to the operation of short-let and Airbnb activities across the entire Banana Island community, covering both residential and commercial properties,” the statement said.

The committee noted that the temporary and transient nature of short-let arrangements weakens collective security measures, compromises residents’ privacy and disrupts community cohesion.

The ban took effect on Monday, February 9, with the association describing the decision as difficult but necessary to maintain the estate’s “safe, serene and exclusive environment.”

BIPORAL also disclosed that police recently arrested eight suspected members of a gang believed to have been terrorising the estate for months. The suspects allegedly rented short-let apartments to plan and execute coordinated criminal operations.

The arrests followed a tip-off from the estate’s security team, which prompted a police raid on a short-let apartment at George Residences on Femi Pedro Street, carried out with support from the Assistant Inspector-General of Police in charge of Zone 2, Onikan.

During the operation, officers apprehended a key suspect and four others, recovering vehicles, phones and a laptop. Three more suspects were later arrested while attempting to retrieve one of the seized vehicles.

Further investigations reportedly uncovered stolen items and disguises linked to criminal activities within the estate.

The association assured residents of its continued commitment to protecting lives and property, adding that the suspects have since confessed and remain in police custody.

LUKMAN ABDULMALIK

Recent Posts

60-year-old man shot dead after hoodlums clashed with Davido’s security team in Osun

The Osun State Police Command has confirmed the killing of a 60-year-old man, Tajudeen Yusuf,…

22 minutes ago

Apapa Customs generates N28.1bn revenue in one day

The Apapa Area Command of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has generated N28.1 billion in…

55 minutes ago

NGX investors lose N556bn as market cap slips to N155trn

The Nigerian stock market closed bearish on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, recording a loss of…

1 hour ago

Naira depreciates against dollar at official market

The naira depreciated at the official market on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, trading at N1,350.41…

1 hour ago

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide

The Federal Executive Council has approved an amendment to the National Mental Health Act to…

1 hour ago

EFCC charges FCMB official, accomplice over $25,000 credential deal

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has filed an eight-count charge against an FCMB staff…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.