Education

Lagos Assembly intervenes in boarding school fee hike

The Lagos State House of Assembly has intervened in the hike in boarding fees in the state’s model colleges.

The Speaker of the House, Mudashiru Obasa, made this known at the plenary in Lagos on Monday, October 21, 2024.

The Lagos State Government had announced an increment in boarding fees in model colleges from N35,000 to N100,000.

The upward review sparked protests by parents who described the new fees as unaffordable.

The Speaker said he had engaged protesters at the House on the issue and assured them something would be done.

Obasa then directed the Chairman of the House Committee on Education, Mosunmola Shogodara, to invite all concerned stakeholders to discuss the issue and report back within a week.

He advised the parents to remain calm, assuring them that the matter would be addressed.

Lagos govt: Why we can’t review boarding school fees

Shogodara representing Surulere II informed the House that the committee had already engaged the Lagos State Ministry of Education and other stakeholders on the matter.

According to her, it was agreed that the fee increment should only take effect from the second term, allowing parents more time to adjust.

Also speaking, Shabi Adekola (Lagos Mainland II) explained that during discussions with the Permanent Secretary and others, it was agreed that parents should continue paying N35,000 for now, pending further review.

Gbolahan Yishawu (Eti-Osa Constituency II) said the increment was primarily related to students’ feeding costs.

Yishawu urged the government to explore ways to ease the financial burden on parents and offer assistance.

On his part, Bonu Solomon (Badagry I) added that parents had raised concerns that students unable to pay the new fees were not allowed to purchase food within the school premises, further complicating the situation.

The House will, however, await the report from the education committee before taking further steps.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Shell urges contractors to strengthen safety standards in Nigeria

Shell has called on its contracting partners to sustain high safety standards across their operations…

7 hours ago

EFCC arraigns two over supply of bank access credentials

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arraigned two men before the Federal High Court…

7 hours ago

Davido speaks on attack on Adeleke’s convoy in Osun

Nigerian singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has dismissed reports linking Governor Ademola Adeleke’s…

8 hours ago

Bayelsa Assembly suspends Sagbama council chair, deputy

The Bayelsa State House of Assembly has suspended the Chairperson of Sagbama Local Government Area,…

8 hours ago

Tinubu orders five-year national security threat assessment, defence plan

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate preparation of a comprehensive National Threat Assessment and…

9 hours ago

Plateau attack: Army chief moves tactical HQ to Mangu

The General Officer Commanding, 3 Division Nigerian Army and Commander of Operation Enduring Peace, Major…

9 hours ago

This website uses cookies.