Parliament

Reps laud Tinubu for fuel subsidy removal, urge Nigerians to remain calm

The House of Representatives has commended President Bola Tinubu for his courage in removing the subsidy on Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), popularly called petrol, with the intention to serve Nigeria with honesty and integrity.

This followed the adoption of an urgent motion of public importance by Abdulraheem Olajide (APC-Lagos) at plenary in Abuja on Tuesday, May 30.

President Tinubu, in his inaugural speech shortly after his swearing-in in Abuja on Monday, May 29, declared that “fuel subsidy is gone”.

He stated that there was no provision for fuel subsidy in the budget he is inheriting from his predecessor, Muhammadu Buhari.

The president said the money being spent on subsidy would be channelled to other use, especially on education, health, and infrastructure.

The declaration has since generated mixed feelings as the effect was being felt with oil marketers and filling stations shutting down, resulting in queues, while some stations had already hiked their prices.

READ ALSO: Subsidy: Petrol queues linger, marketers sell N350 per litre

However, Olajide, while presenting the motion, said President Tinubu was a concerned senior citizen whose agenda was to favour the downtrodden for the purpose of humanity.

He said there was no provision for fuel subsidy in the 2023 budget, adding that the 9th Assembly and the past administration gave it legal backing.

The lawmaker stated that any legislative action in support of the president to deliver dividends of democracy to Nigerians would go a long way in enhancing development.

Olajide said: “The president is concerned about the masses and has meaningful objective to utilise Nigeria funds appropriately with budgetary reforms agenda on education, health, and infrastructure

“Others include agriculture, food, security and above all security of lives and property as embedded in the constitution.”

The House congratulated Tinubu on his readiness for the tasks ahead in service of humanity.

The House also appealed to Nigerians to remain patient, resilient, and prayerful so that the president could deliver on his promises.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Local food grinders may increase organ failure risk — FIIRO

The Federal Institute of Industrial Research, Oshodi (FIIRO), has raised concerns over the potential health…

2 hours ago

Truck crushes 6 to death on Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway

No fewer than six persons have been confirmed dead, while three others were injured in…

2 hours ago

Temu assures data protection as NDPC probes platform

Temu has reaffirmed its commitment to protecting users’ personal information as Nigeria’s data protection regulator…

2 hours ago

Tinubu unveils Nigeria industrial policy 2025

President Bola Tinubu on Tuesday launched Nigeria’s Industrial Policy 2025, urging government agencies to ensure…

2 hours ago

Opposition lawmakers walk out as Reps approve electronic, manual transmission of election results

The House of Representatives has approved both electronic and manual modes of transmitting election results…

3 hours ago

Tinubu asks Senate to confirm Abubakar as INEC commissioner, Yusuf as NAHCON chairman

President Bola Tinubu has urged the Senate to confirm the appointment of Adm. Jamila Abubakar…

4 hours ago

This website uses cookies.