Categories: Just Politics

Trump suspends US green card lottery over university killings

United States President Donald Trump has suspended the U.S. green card lottery, citing killings in the country.

The Trump administration said the green card lottery allowed a suspect behind both a mass shooting at Brown University and the killing of an MIT professor into the United States.

Claudio Neves Valente, a 48-year-old Portuguese national, is accused of bursting into a building at the Ivy League school on Saturday and opening fire on students, killing two and wounding nine.

He is also accused of killing a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) two days later.

Homeland security chief Kristi Noem wrote on social media on Thursday that Neves Valente “entered the United States through the diversity lottery immigrant visa program (DV1) in 2017 and was granted a green card.”

‘I inherited a mess’: Trump promises economic boom, slams Biden in nationwide broadcast

According to the State Department, the U.S. green card lottery grants up to 55,000 permanent resident visas annually to people “from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.”

Noem described Neves Valente, who police said on Thursday was found dead by suicide after a days-long manhunt, was a “heinous individual” who “should never have been allowed in our country.”

“At President Trump’s direction, I am immediately directing USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) to pause the DV1 program to ensure no more Americans are harmed by this disastrous program,” Noem said.

There have been more than 300 mass shootings in the United States so far this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive, which defines a mass shooting as four or more people shot.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Tinubu appoints Uba Sani Renewed Hope ambassador, Deputy DG for party mobilisation

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appointed Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State as Renewed Hope…

2 hours ago

LAUTECH students protest department relocation

Students of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) on Tuesday staged a protest over the…

2 hours ago

Ramadan fasting begins in Nigeria on Wednesday — Sultan

The Sultan of Sokoto and President-General of the Nigeria Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA),…

2 hours ago

Sultan declares Wednesday first day of Ramadan

The Sultan of Sokoto, Sa’ad Abubakar III, has announced that Wednesday, February 18, 2026, marks…

3 hours ago

Uba Sani restores Christian Pilgrimage in Kaduna after 11-year suspension

Christian faithful in Kaduna State have applauded Governor Uba Sani for reinstating the state-sponsored Christian…

4 hours ago

Saudi Arabia declares start of Ramadan as NSCIA awaits moon sighting

Saudi Arabia has announced the start of Ramadan following the sighting of the crescent moon,…

4 hours ago

This website uses cookies.