Categories: News

Wike orders free treatment for victims of Abuja building collapse

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has directed that all victims of a building collapse in Abuja receive free medical treatment.

The incident, which occurred on Saturday behind Gudu Market, involved a three-storey structure under construction and left five people dead, with several others injured.

The Mandate Secretary of the FCT Health Services and Environment Secretariat, Adedolapo Fasawe, disclosed the minister’s directive during a visit to the scene, noting that rescue operations were still ongoing.

Emergency responders continued efforts to reach victims believed to be trapped beneath the rubble, with one survivor pulled out alive after spending more than nine hours under the debris. Fasawe was said to have attended to the rescued victim before he was taken to hospital for further care.

According to a statement by the FCT Emergency Management Department, signed by its Head of Public Affairs, Nkechi Isa, at least 16 persons have been rescued so far, with 11 injured victims receiving treatment at medical facilities including the Federal Medical Centre Abuja, Asokoro District Hospital and Maitama Hospital.

The agency added that most of those affected were construction workers.

Rescue operations involved multiple agencies, including the National Emergency Management Agency, Federal Fire Service, FCT Police Command, as well as personnel from the Nigerian Army, Federal Road Safety Corps, FCT Emergency Medical Services and Wuse District Hospital.

Authorities said efforts were ongoing to evacuate any remaining victims as anxious residents gathered at the scene.

LUKMAN ABDULMALIK

Recent Posts

Champions League play-offs: Full fixtures as 14 clubs battle for seven spots

The final seven places in the 2026/27 UEFA Champions League league phase will be decided…

7 hours ago

FULL LIST: 122 Nigerian universities approved to offer Law

The Council of Legal Education (CLE) has released the list of 122 universities approved to…

7 hours ago

ASUU threatens strike over 200 lecturers’ exodus Kaduna varsity

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Kaduna State University (KASU) chapter, has raised concern…

7 hours ago

Why Edo lawmakers removed Agbebaku — New Speaker

The newly elected Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Yekini Idiaye, has accused…

8 hours ago

Kano college launches 800-tree drive to tackle climate challenges

The Kano State Government has launched an initiative to plant 800 trees at the Aminu…

8 hours ago

NFF sacks Super Falcons technical crew after World Cup failure

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has ordered the entire technical crew of the Super Falcons…

8 hours ago

This website uses cookies.