Categories: Just Politics

US Secret Service kills gunman after shooting near White House

A gunman opened fire near the White House on Saturday evening, with United States Secret Service agents killing the assailant in a shoot-out during which a bystander was also struck.

Secret Service communications chief Anthony Guglielmi said in a statement that United States President Donald Trump was in the White House at the time – on a day when he was working to negotiate a deal with Iran – but was not impacted by the incident.

Guglielmi disclosed that the confrontation took place just after 6:00 p.m. (2200 GMT) when a man near the White House security perimeter “pulled a weapon from his bag and began firing.”

“Secret Service Police returned fire striking the suspect who was transported to an area hospital where he was pronounced deceased. During the shooting one bystander was also struck by gunfire,” Guglielmi said, without giving details on the bystander’s condition.

No Secret Service officers were hurt.

In a statement on social media, Trump said the gunman allegedly “had a violent history and possible obsession” with the White House.

Police and security forces swarmed the scene, cordoning off access.

“We heard probably 20 to 25 what sounded like fireworks, but they’re gunshots, and then everyone started running,” Canadian tourist Reid Adrian told AFP.

Journalists who were on the White House North Lawn at the time said they were ordered to run and shelter in the press briefing room.

Nigeria’s borders secure against Ebola threat — NIS

Trump, 79, has been the target of three alleged assassination attempts, the most recent of which took place on April 25 when an armed man stormed a security checkpoint in a hotel where Trump was attending a media gala.

The man never got close to Trump or the other guests attending the event.

In July 2024, Trump was targeted during a campaign rally in Butler, Pennsylvania. A gunman killed an audience member and lightly wounded the then-candidate in the ear.

A few months later, another armed man was arrested on a West Palm Beach golf course where Trump was playing a round.

Trump has cited security concerns as one of his reasons for building a ballroom at the White House, tearing down the East Wing after taking office again last year.

The $400 million project currently under construction will feature, according to the New York real estate magnate, six floors below the highly secure “drone-proof” ballroom, including an underground military hospital.

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Nigeria thrash Guinea in women’s U17 World Cup qualifier

Nigeria’s under-17 women’s football team, the Flamingos, defeated Guinea 5-0 in their U-17 Women’s World…

12 minutes ago

Student’s killing: I drugged her, spent ransom on betting — Ogun teacher

The Ogun State Police Command has arrested a 30-year-old private school teacher, Nathaniel Baiyegun, over…

1 hour ago

Tinubu secures landslide victory in Abia APC presidential primaries

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has emerged as the winner of the All Progressives Congress (APC)…

2 hours ago

Nigeria’s borders secure against Ebola threat — NIS

The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) has dismissed concerns that the country’s land borders could serve…

2 hours ago

Ohaji group petitions Tinubu, Uzodinma over APC Reps ticket dispute

A socio-political group, the Ohaji Patriotic Forum (OPF), has appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu,…

11 hours ago

Hull City promoted to Premier League for first time in 9 years

Hull City were promoted to the Premier League after a 1-0 win over Middlesbrough in…

11 hours ago

This website uses cookies.