News

X restores free blue check to popular accounts

X has announced a free subscription, the platform’s famous blue check, for users with big followings.

Before billionaire Elon Musk’s acquisition, the blue check mark was used as a verification system for major X accounts including celebrities, institutions, and journalists.

But Musk saw the system as unfair to regular users and overhauled the blue checks so that they went only to paying subscribers, which meant thousands of holders were stripped of the feature.

Late Wednesday, some users were surprised and even angry to find the blue tick reinstated.

A message from the platform explained that they were given free subscriptions because they were an “influential member” of X.

The site added that it “reserves the right to cancel the complimentary subscription in its sole discretion.”

Ex-Twitter executives sue Musk over $128m debt

Musk said last week that “going forward, all X accounts with over 2,500 verified subscriber followers will get Premium features for free and accounts with over 5,000 will get Premium+ for free.”

Premium or Premium+ perks include reduced ads and higher placement in the platform’s feeds, as well as access to Grok, X’s AI chatbot.

Some users who received the blue check saw it as a bid by Musk to revitalise the struggling platform.

“Translation: Pay $8? Kidding. Help me. But don’t say anything too free speechy about me or my Garbage Tower of Babel,” actor Jeffrey Wright, who received an unsolicited check, said in a post on X.

Since Musk bought Twitter for $44 billion in 2022, the platform’s advertising business has collapsed as marketers soured on his leadership and the mass firings at the company that gutted content moderation.

X on Tuesday named company veteran Kylie McRoberts as the new head of safety in an effort to shore up income from advertising, still the site’s main source of revenue.

According to most industry-accepted metrics, X has lost users since Musk took ownership, but the company said activity on the site has grown.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Champions League play-offs: Full fixtures as 14 clubs battle for seven spots

The final seven places in the 2026/27 UEFA Champions League league phase will be decided…

31 minutes ago

FULL LIST: 122 Nigerian universities approved to offer Law

The Council of Legal Education (CLE) has released the list of 122 universities approved to…

35 minutes ago

ASUU threatens strike over 200 lecturers’ exodus Kaduna varsity

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Kaduna State University (KASU) chapter, has raised concern…

1 hour ago

Why Edo lawmakers removed Agbebaku — New Speaker

The newly elected Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Yekini Idiaye, has accused…

1 hour ago

Kano college launches 800-tree drive to tackle climate challenges

The Kano State Government has launched an initiative to plant 800 trees at the Aminu…

2 hours ago

NFF sacks Super Falcons technical crew after World Cup failure

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has ordered the entire technical crew of the Super Falcons…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.